With all of us working from home nowadays, we’re finding new ways to automate and live with our home. One way to do some really cool automations in Josh is to use a scene, which can control multiple devices at once with just one button click or one short voice command. Below are some of our favorite scenes along with some instructions on how to create them.
The Morning Scene
Create a perfect scene to get your morning started the right way.
- First and foremost we are going to set this scene on a timer so that it triggers every morning at Sunrise.
- Second, we are going to turn our lights on but only to 50% to slowly warm up to the bright lights.
- Third, we are opening all of our shades to let natural light in.
- Fourth, we are going to play some soft classical music throughout the house to help put us in a focused mood (can be adjusted for your preferred music preference).
- Lastly, we are going to put some relaxing nature videos on the TV. We are doing this to help us start our day in a relaxing way rather than turning on a regular TV show.
This scene is also great for any morning because every time it is triggered, a different relaxing video and set of songs will play as we have not specified either but given them broad categories.
The Workout Scene
The workout scene is a great way to get any home workout started with one basic command.
- First, we are going to be opening all the shades to let natural light into our workout area.
- Secondly, we know working out can be tough work, so we are going to turn the fan on in our workout area to help keep us cool.
- Third, we want to search for “Silent Workout” videos on YouTube. Searching silent workout videos is a great way for us to follow along to the workout but allow us to play our own music while working out.
- Lastly, we want to put on the perfect workout music.
This is an awesome workout scene because it is changing every time we trigger it to give us different workout music as well as a completely different workout!
Set the Mood Scene
We are going to create a “set the mood” scene that will help us set a perfect setting for an at home date.
- First, we want to set our TV volume to 0 and play a fireplace video on YouTube (granted you do not have a real fireplace you can turn on).
- Secondly, we want to close all the shades everywhere to give us some privacy on our date night.
- Third, we want to dim the lights to 10%.
- Fourth, we are going to turn our Ketra lights to a relaxing color (Philips Hue lights work as well).
- Lastly, we want to turn on some smooth Jazz music to help set the mood.
After that all you need to do is set the table, open a bottle of wine and have an amazing date night!
These are just some of the fun possibilities that Josh scenes can open up. These also show us that while scenes are great for executing consistent commands and tasks around the house, they can also be dynamic and change every time we trigger them. We hope this gives some inspiration to the endless possibilities of scenes you can create around your house!
This article was written by Connor at Josh.ai in Santa Monica, where he focuses on Technical Partner Support. He recently moved from Seattle where he worked at a Fintech Startup. In his free time Connor loves to play poker and go snowboarding.